Choose Your Own Blog

Thursday, February 2, 2012

The actual GOH diary, Day 2

Hey, if you like reading raw, brutally-honest diaries then you might like the new "Bounty" blog I've begun recently! Check it out if you like reading about misery in filmmaking!

Day 2(11/8/10): If you thought Day One was bad...

At the Cloister’s Castle.

Knew it was gonna be a bad day when I couldn’t remember Jared(the D.P.’s) name when I opened my phone to call him. I mean, I’ve only worked with him on two films...but my brain ain’t firing.

Should have been pretty easy. Showed up early. There’s an extra there already who got called too early. Also a guy named Habib who’s coming out to help a couple of nights.

We set up—the rooms we were shooting in were right next to each other, so it should have been easy.

But we fell behind. Not massively, but by about an hour.

An internet bud and horror host Rob Dimension drives all the way up from New Jersey to be a featured extra, and brings a friend, which is cool. Getting extras can be a problem(and HAS in the past for me)...

Wrangling them is okay, but a couple of them leave after like two hours. So we don’t have many to choose from. Then we get a call mid-shoot that Lauren Lakis, the actress playing one of the roles in the next scenes, was in a car accident. Car totalled.

They say she’s fine and is willing to come out. Not sure whether that will be okay, but it works out. We shoot the stair sequence and then another sequence with her character and she's great.

We’re like 3 hours behind now though.

Quick break and we move to setup outside and everything goes BAD. The Red camera stops connecting to the hard drive. Jared can’t make it work. Calls the guy who owns it—he didn’t include the firmware update. We try to download it—we get it after like an hour, because they only have dial-up internet at the Castle.

We install it but it’s a different build than we already recorded, so we can’t record to that hard drive unless we erase what we shot. So we can only shoot on CF cards, of which we have 2 four gig cards—8 total minutes of film.

By this time it’s like 3:30am—we need to be out of there at 5am(per the Castle's rules). Luckily we can leave shit there. We try to shoot some outside stuff but we can’t tell focus that well and the Red keeps shutting off—it’s a disaster. We finally just call it at 4:45am after getting some dogshit.

Jared freaks. He’s yelling. Calls the douche who owns it and tries to find another Red.

I’m beat. Demoralized. Get home, back up some stills, back in bed by 7am.

No comments:

Post a Comment